Skip Navigation
TSTC students and employees: Click here for the OneTSTC Portal.
Veterans Enrolled at Texas State Technical College

                     Texas State Technical College Student Veteran boarding helicopter with dog image


Transition to Technical

Our goal is to make your transition from military to student life a seamless one. You’ve served our country -- let us help serve you in your career transition. Fortunately, as a qualified veteran and service member, you’ve earned a host of state and federal benefits. There’s also student clubs and veterans centers across the state that can help you make the move from active military to using your skills in a great paying job.

Texas State Technical College (TSTC) takes pride in providing the best career training for our veterans and is a strong advocate for veterans to get hired after graduation.

But before you can walk into class on the first day, there are a few things you need to complete.

The following is a step-by-step guide created to assist veterans, service members and their dependents in getting through the admissions process and obtaining your GI Bill® benefits.

Step 1:

Apply for Admissions and complete the required admissions process. (Admissions Checklist) Veterans are recommended to check their residency status with the Admissions Office.

If your HOME OF RECORD is Texas and you have been discharged within 12 months, please submit a copy of your DD214 (member 4) to the Admission Office. Please visit to view other residency waivers available for Service members, Veterans and their dependents.

An acceptance letter containing your student ID will be mailed to you.

NOTE: Service members, Reservist and National Guard are recommended to speak to their Educational Service Officer (ESO) or counselor within their Military Service prior to enrolling at TSTSC.

Step 2:

Apply for your GI Bill® and/or Texas Hazelwood Act

Apply for your VA Educational (GI Bill®) Benefits online using VA.GOV

  • Form 22-1990 for Veterans using (Chapter 30, 33, 1606, 1607)
  • Form 22-1990e for Dependents and Spouses using Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) transfer of entitlement
  • Form 22-5490 for Dependents and Spouses using Dependents' Education Assistance (Chapter 35)
  • Form 28-1900 for Vocational Rehabilitation

You will receive a Certificate of Eligibility letter from the Veterans Administration in 4-6 weeks. Please submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to the Veterans Office.

NOTE: If you have previously used your GI Bill® benefits at another school then you will have to complete a transfer form.  Please visit your Veterans Program Officer on campus for assistance with the forms below.  An updated Certificate of Eligibility will be required by the Veteran Services Office.

  • Form 22-1995 for Veterans
  • Form 22-5495 for Dependents or Spouses

    Texas Veterans may apply for the Hazlewood Tuition Exemption, if eligible for less then 100% of Post 9/11 benefit or using another GI Bill® benefit that is not dedicated to payment of tuition and fees. Submit the Hazlewood application to your Veteran Services Office.

    Step 3:

    Submit all required documentation

    Veterans are required to submit the following documentation to the Veterans Center.

    • Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
    • DD Form 214 (member 4)
    • Official military transcripts and university/college transcripts (Submit to the Admissions & Records Office)
    • VA Form 28-1905 – Required for Veterans using Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Benefits (Chapter 31)*
    • DD Form 2384 (NOBE) - Required for Veterans using Chapter 1606 or REAP
    • VA Form 22-1995 - When changing major field of study or incoming transfer students.
    • Valid State ID

    Request Official Military Transcripts from the Joint Service Transcript System, or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF)

    Dependents using GI Bill® Chapter 35 or Chapter 33 transfer of entitlements must submit the following documents:

    • Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
    • DD Form 214 (member) - Chapter 33 transfer of entitlement is exempt, if Veteran is on Active Duty
    • Veteran's service-connected compensation claim, decision letter (Chapter 35)
    • University/College transcripts (Submit to the Admissions & Records Office)
    • VA Form 22-5495 - (Chapter 35) when changing degree plan or incoming transfer student



    Step 4:

    Apply for Financial Aid

    Service Members, Veterans and their dependents are encouraged to apply for Financial Aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. To learn more about financial assistance, please visit our Financial Aid Office website.

    Step 5:

    Register with VA eBenefits

    Create an eBenefits PREMIUM account to check your deposits from VA along with the history of your enrollment certification status and months of benefits remaining. You can setup direct deposit or update your address with VA.

    Please visit the Texas Veterans Portal to be connected to State Benefits and Services.


    *You may request that your VocRehab  counselor send VA Form 28-1905 directly to the Veterans Program Officer.

    To Contact Veteran Services in Your Area:

    TSTC in Harlingen or Fort Bend:

    TSTC in Marshall or North Texas:

    TSTC in Waco or Williamson County:

    TSTC in Sweetwater, Abilene, Brownwood or Breckenridge:

    Military Friendly 2019-2020

    ‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at"

    Texas Genuine Logo
    Texas State Technical College 3801 Campus Drive Waco, Texas 76705 254-799-3611
    © 2019 Texas State Technical College